Sunday, January 18, 2004

Right. Last night I went to bed after walking around for a while with Katy (UK) and Colin (USA). It was pretty chilly with the wind, but I went in my sandals to get my feet out of these hiking boots. As always happens when you aren�t the one navigating, I have no idea where we went, but it was really nice to chat with people when you start out in a new place. The beds at Point Gothic are kind of "Hollywood Squares" style -- you get your personal square for sleeping, stacked two high, in a big room with about 15 beds. I climbed up into my square beside and got ready for bed. In the square next to me was a girl and guy who started talking about, then having sex. They must have been too drunk to think about privacy (the pub crawl had just returned) because it was clear that neither the curtain covering the front of your square nor the piece of plywood forming the wall provided any. It was really quite funny, but I put my earplugs in and went to sleep. Next morning I had to get up early to pay for another day (checkout is 0930) and catch free breakfast. Went back to sleep and got up around 1. - Took the metro to La Sagrada Familia which is a big Gaudi church. - Walked from there to the Arc de Triomf and the Parc de la Ciutadella. - Checked out the drummers and the food/crap vendors there. This hippy scene seems to happen every Sunday afternoon at the park in at least: San Francisco, Montreal and Barcelona. - Met two Irish girls at the Cascada Maura and Ryana because we both had the LP Spain book. - Took the metro with them to Parc Guell (subsequently recommended by Ben) which turned out to be really weird and great. You can tell that this is one of those places that if you actually live in Barcelona you�re like "Yeah, I�ve never been." I tested my hiking boots by jogging to the very very top where you can see the whole city and the wind nearly knocks you over. Fabulous. - Metro back to the hostel then tried to check out the graphically recommended by Jamalio, "La Pedrera" but its on the roof of a museum that was closed (and non-free) - Had lunch at the best spanish fast food place Pans-Company. Sandwiches on toasted baguettes.

No comments: