Monday, January 26, 2004

The one nice thing near Meknes as far as I could tell is the Roman ruins at Volubilius, so we hired a grand taxi for a few hours to take us there and back. You walk through what's left of a Roman city from 2000 years ago. The nicest parts were the tile mosaic floors and the columns still left standing. Actually, I thought the nicest part was the drive to and from the site since it got me out of the city. We were back by noon but by the time we figured out that there was nothing else to do it was past checkout time. The hotel guy first said we had to pay for the night even if we wanted to leave right away, then he said we only have to pay half. My travelling companions wanted to leave as much as I did, but they didn't understand the concept of "sunk cost", so I just took the guy out side, paid him the 60 dirham penalty, and asked him to pretend he had changed his mind. So now we're in Fes, and it's a little nicer I guess. We're staying at the hostel here, but no-one else is around.

No comments: