Saturday, January 17, 2004

I am no longer getting email addressed to my @uwaterloo.ca email account! I tried to logon today and check it but I�m now listed as "inactive" (I am going crazy trying to punctuate with this Spanish keyboard) Anyway, please use johncormie at hotmail dot com until I get this sorted out. Where was the grace period??? So, I am here at the Gothic Point hostel (with free internet!) in Barcelona, which I am proud to say is not the first one listed in the Lonely Planet, nor is it even listed at all! My friend in Nice recommended it and I even found it without even knowing the address. My first few hours in Spain have been frustrating because I went from being King of Tourists in France because I could communicate with everyone, back to one of the annoying people who just point and blindly speak english at locals when it�s clear they don�t understand. Today I spent on the train, but the time that I wasn�t on the train was in Monpeiller on a layover. I spent two hours walking around, which was exactly enough of the town for me. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but I feel like I really saw everything. It seemed much more french than Nice, with big open squares and old looking stuff, and statues of people on horses in the middle of promenades. Last night we went to a bar called Thor, which was fine, and drank expensive beer (singular, ie one each because of the price -- too bad it was Friday not cheep "Thors-day"). We means me and Nathan and his two friends Paula and Leo from the Chez Patrick hostel downstairs (which seemed cleaner and more hostelish than our cheap apartment style room). A cover band played english top 40 music all night and we sat there eating tiny cans of peanuts from an impossible to operate vending machine.

No comments: