Tuesday, February 10, 2004

The trip is over and I'm back in cold snowy Waterloo. Saturday evening I went out for beers with my Gibraltar hostel roomates, a German kid and this crazy old Indian guy who wouldn't stop talking. The next day, I took the bus to Malaga, then the plane to Paris. I only had time to do one thing in Paris, so I walked to the Eiffel tower and took a taxi back the hostel just before it closed for the night. In the morning, my 2 euro watch from Morocco started malfunctioning (maybe because of the cold?) so I didn't really know what time it was but I still managed to get to the airport in time. Here's a few leftover trip thoughts I have jotted down:
  • Spain has this great fast food concept: Baguette sandwiches for around $5. (called Pans & Company) I'd like to see this in North America.
  • In the Rif mountains, we ate oranges right off the trees! But don't try this in Spain -- the oranges from the trees along the side of the road are sour.
  • Moroccan price facts: Cheap hotel room is 40Dh. A meal at McDonald's is 43Dh.
  • Remember the inanimate carbon rod from the Simpson's "Deep Space Homer" Episode? One bus in Morocco used this exact rod based system to keep the back door closed.
  • French Fry Sandwiches? What's with that?
  • Every developing country could make two simple improvements that, in my opinion, would vastly improve things: 1) Put soap in the washrooms. Then, even if you choose not to use toilet paper, you can use both hands to eat. 2) Put wastebaskets in public places so people can stop compulsively littering.

No comments: