Monday, February 16, 2004

Sunday: My flight was delayed 3 1/2 hours while they tried to fix the brakes on our plane, then they gave up, and we waited for a new plane to arrive. 3 1/2 hours is a long time to sit around the departure lounge but I would be fine with it if they just put up the new departure time up on the monitor right away. But no. You will wait your 3 1/2 hours 45 minutes, half an hour at a time as they repeatedly announce delay after further delay. Oh and we all got a $3 credit to spend at the snack bar as compensation. I guess that makes my time worth about $1 per hour. Here's a funny conversation that happened at the rental car counter in SEA-TAC at midnight: Avis guy: Sorry but your credit card was declined. Me: I'm not surprised because it's maxed out! The rental is supposed to be payed for. Avis: Well it's not. Me: Ah. Luckily the city bus was still running and took me within two blocks of my temporary apartment for only $1.25. Hey, I didn't really need a car anyway. My suite is at a place called Harbor Steps and it is NICE. I have the corner apartment so my living room and bedroom look out at downtown Seattle in two directions. You get a TV, VCR, fridge, washer, drier, dish washer, microwave, iron, and phone with answering machine. I also have wireless internet, to my delight, but that is courtesy of some unknown neighbour. Here's a funny conversation that happened in the PacMed cafeteria on my first day of work today: Al: Look there's [Amazon CEO] Jeff [Bezos]. Let's go say 'Hi' and I'll introduce you. Wait, do you have anything interesting to say to him? Me: Uh, no. Al: (Pause) Well, I'll introduce you anyway! Another funny highlight watching a Troy McLure style video about insider trading. I started laughing (at the format) just as he said something like "insider trading is a serious issue." "You may remember me from such corporate orientation videos as ..."

No comments: