Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Here's some things I did in Taberka over the last few days *besides* walking around on the beach:

  • Walked up to the island fort that overlooks the city. It was closed but the "guard" poked his head out of a portal 10m overhead and offered to let me in. The fort was littered with pieces of the set from a film that was recently shot there. I guess the idea was to make the place look less ruined and more contemporary for a movie called (allegedly) "The Last Legion." It wasn't easy to tell what was actually part of the fort and what was fake! I tried not to lean on any exterior walls just in case they were made of plaster. On the way out, the friendly guard reminded me how I had agreed to pay him a little bribe for the behind-the-scenes tour. Apparently our "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" deal got lost in translation.
  • Hacked at some balls at the Hotel Royal Golf driving range. I went with my Tunisian friend Wael because I thought it would be a novel experience. I'm a bit worried that they hire people to collect the balls because no automatic collection machine was in sight. It was weird to see all the distances marked in meters rather than yards.
  • Went for a dive. Very cool, except there was no instruction and no independence. Basically they suited me up, threw me in the water, and had a guy steer me around 5m below the surface for 30D. First, I had to get used to the idea of not holding my breath but instead calmly breathing through the regulator. Also, the guy scolded me whenever I would use my arms to swim. We would "communicate" using hand signals not established in advance. Now for the good parts: There were a ton of fish down there, including the almost glowing multicoloured ones you see on the discovery channel. The rocks were covered in bright orange ... something. It was also cool to look up at the waves crashing against the rocks while floating motionless underneath.
  • Hit the discotheque Saturday night. Outside of summer, these places only open if there are enough guests at the attached hotel. (At night we would walk by huge 5 star hotels, that were completely dark and empty) The music was a mix of Arabic, English and other. The patrons were French, Czech and Italian tourists, plus Tunisian men. Also let me note that the idea of a public smoking ban has not yet reached Tunisia. It reminded me of the bad old days in Seattle/Waterloo/Winnipeg.

2 comments:

Ming said...

The Last Legion, now called The Enchanted Sword.

And I can't imagine you in a discotheque.

Anonymous said...

Hey Hemingway - are you heading to Winnipeg after Tunisia?